A little forethought and planning will go a long way towards making the move easier and safer for everyone concerned.
- Enough Personnel: The average young to middle-aged person can lift about 25kg on their own from the ground to waist height, in the absence of any other restrictions. Anything heavier than that requires the help of two or more people.
- Know the Terrain: Know the route you will be taking, including the bends, turns and stairs. Take special note of any uneven areas in floors or outdoors while loading or unloading the vehicle. A check of the weather forecast for moving day is a good idea too. If it’s a long way from the moving van to the end destination, is there a place along the way that you can stop and rest safely?
When You Lift
Keep these helpful tips in mind.
- If you’re unsure of how heavy a box is, rock it back and forth gently and lift an inch or so to test it first.
- Is there enough space for you to stand, reach or otherwise maneuvre the object as you lift? Will you have to bend or twist? The latter should be avoided – a straight lift is always the safest way.
- Professional movers wear gloves for a reason – do yourself a favour and get a good pair of work gloves to cushion your palms and avoid injury to your hands.
- Avoid wearing tight or restrictive clothing, high heels or anything that can affect balance or the ability to walk.
- Place your feet at least a foot apart so that you have a stable base when you’re lifting. Placing one foot slightly ahead of the other also increases stability and balance.
- Bend your knees and not your back. Keep your back straight, shoulders level and facing in the same direction as your hips to prevent strain and twist injuries. Begin by lifting your head first – that automatically straightens the back.
- Grip with your palms and not only your fingers, keeping your arms as close to your torso as you can.
- Lift as smoothly as you can, avoiding jerking movements. Use the core muscles – those in your torso – to hold yourself and the item upright. That’s where your strength is when moving. Maintain the natural curve in your back as you walk.
Above all – don’t overdo it. If you begin to lift something and feel a lot of strain, lower it slowly and get some help.
The Movers Choice
You pick up. You move. It’s that simple. The Movers Choice makes moving easy. Whether you’re moving across the hall or across town – our plastic moving box rentals are reliable and eco-friendly and help you get the job done with ease. We also offer a range of moving supplies and services for both business and residential customers.
Call 905.670.2778 or contact us online for the best in plastic moving box rentals in The Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga and beyond…