If your small office is moving (or perhaps it’s your home office that’s relocating,) it’s not just the move and its logistics that are on your mind. You need the move to run as smoothly as possible so that you can be up and running and back in business asap. That’s a given.
Here are some tips to help you make that happen.
This is crucial. There are some key questions you need to ask yourself.
- What is/are the most crucial aspects of my business?
- What do I need to access immediately?
- What is my budget?
- How crucial is timing?
Those fundamental issues will set the stage for your move overall. Once those decisions have been made and the date for the move has been set, there’s a lot you can do before the big day.
- Make sure utilities (hydro, cable, internet, phone) are looked after and will be set up in your new location when you need them.
- Check the layout of the new place and make notes on what needs to go where to avoid chaos on moving day.
- Let your clients know well ahead of time. You may even be able to use the move to introduce special promotions or offers. It could be a marketing bonus – what about an Open House event after you’re settled in?
- Remember your stationary and web presence – update your forms and letters along with your website and any other online ads with the new address.
Quick Tips for Moving Day
- Most filing cabinets can be moved full or at least partly so – you don’t need to empty it but emptying the top two drawers of a four-drawer lateral cabinet helps to prevent damage.
- Handle artwork and expensive electrical equipment separately, packing them in smaller boxes with a lot of padding (scrap paper to be recycled works great).
- Carry all personal and valuable items including small plants, pictures, diplomas, hand-held devices and fragile knickknacks, CDs and removable disk drives.
- Pack loose, small items like pens and clips into zip-top bags.
- Label boxes and furniture with their contents and where they will go in your new digs. (This is where that pre-planning comes in).
- If you are moving shelving, take down the shelves and the pegs that secure them, packing the pegs separately in an envelope.
- Office machines – if these are under a lease or insured, there may be special provisions that pertain to moving them (such as notifying the lease company). Check any documents that may apply.
- Remove the toner from printers, copiers and fax machines before you pack them and remove the sorter plate.
The key to a smooth move is efficiency. Plastic moving boxes are much more efficient than using cardboard boxes – no driving around to grocery stores looking for suitable boxes and no more breaking them down to recycle afterwards.
The Mover’s Choice
You pick up. You move. It’s that simple. The Movers Choice makes moving easy. Whether you’re moving across the hall or across town – our plastic moving box rentals are reliable and eco-friendly and help you get the job done with ease. We also offer a range of moving supplies and services for both business and residential customers.
Call 905.670.2778 or contact us online for the best in plastic moving box rentals in The Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga and beyond…