No one would really choose to take on the task of moving over the holidays but sometimes we don’t have a choice. Here are some tips for making such a move at least a little less stressful.
Timing – Will you be moving in December or in January? Packing ahead of time is the ideal but it’s also a pretty good way to destroy your home décor for the holidays. Consider what you might be able to do beforehand and what can wait. Is there a spare room that can hold packed items? Keeping the chaos under wraps in a single room while the rest of the house stays livable can do wonders for your morale.
Make it a Vacation – If you have the holidays to spare and you’re having real difficulty working your way through the logistics, maybe it’s a better option to do as much as you can for the move but spend the holidays with someone else doing the serving and the cleaning up.
Packing the Ornaments – holidays wrapping paper and other packaging from opened presents gives you ideal material to cushion those precious keepsakes when you’re packing to move. Wrapping paper, bubble wrap, packing peanuts – put the ornaments in a box and wrap/surround them in packaging material for a great way to preserve them year to year as well as during your move.
Bonus Tip: Those long cardboard tubes you end up with when a roll of wrapping paper are the perfect way to keep lengths of Christmas lights – or any other long length of wire – untangled.
Your Mental Health
Moving around the holidays isn’t just about the physical and practical aspects – it’s the holidays! It’s supposed to be a celebration of family, friends – the familiar. If you find yourself in a new locale with very little that’s familiar – yet – it’s also important to pay attention to the un-practical side of things.
- Try to keep familiar things around you – beloved objects and treasured keepsakes can help to bring that feeling of being home.
- Invite visitors to stay over – if you can’t be back home, bring a little of back home with you.
- Invite new people – the best way to make new friends and traditions is to make them up yourself. Have a party for others who are on their own over the holidays.
- The phone is your friend – reach out and talk to the people who you care about no matter where they are,
- Public events – check out your new community for events that will help you meet new people. Better yet – help out at a soup kitchen or where you can really tap into the spirit of the holidays.
The Movers Choice
You pick up. You move. It’s that simple. The Movers Choice makes moving easy. Whether you’re moving across the hall or across town – our plastic moving box rentals are reliable and eco-friendly and help you get the job done with ease. We also offer a range of moving supplies and services for both business and residential customers.
Call 905.670.2778 or contact us online for the best in plastic moving box rentals in The Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga and beyond…